Jan 14, 2008

Saving Our Unique Style of Learning

Dear Parents and Students,

As you know, last month, the courts announced a decision against Wisconsin Virtual School that may impact their ability to operate. In order to ensure the continued operation of all Wisconsin virtual schools, our state legislature is going to be writing and enacting legislation that clearly defines virtual schooling in Wisconsin.

As I indicated earlier, iQ Academy Wisconsin and the District of Waukesha are continuing to work with our legislators and the DPI around these issues.

What can you do to help?

This Wednesday afternoon, January 16, there will be a large Capitol rally of virtual learning parents and students on Wednesday afternoon. The rally is in conjunction with a hearing on a bill written by Representative Brett Davis (Wednesday, January 16, 1:00 pm).

The rally and transportation is being organized by the Wisconsin Coalition of Virtual School Families. For information about the rally, busses to get there, and more, see http://www.wivirtualschoolfamilies.org/news/newsletter.cfm?ID=722

There will also be a hearing for another bill written by Senator John Lehman on Thursday, January 17, at 10 am.

If you value the education your student is receiving, if you believe families deserve the choice of public virtual schooling, then find a way to attend the rally in Madison and contact your legislators to support legislation that defines and supports virtual public education.

Hope to see you in Madison!
Kristine Diener
Principal
iQ Academies at Wisconsin
1-866-468-6472

Okay, I think this is totally important and my family and I are actually going down to Madison, even though it's 3+ hours away to give our support to iQ, WIVA, Monroe and other virtual schools around the state. Is anyone else going? If so, we should make plans to meet up and get some school spirit going. (My mom wants my little brother to wear a sign saying "I want to get my diploma at 15" and she's usually not like that.)

I actually contacted Ms. Diener and was able to get an extension (*shock*) for saying I would be going down there, and I'll get it while I'm there. If you're not going because of school, contact Ms. Diener, because you might get a couple more days... (I just have until Monday 8 a.m.)

If anything, just pray that this will work out, because I hate to see a ton of kids left without this alternative form of education.

5 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

I am definitely going down to Madison. I live about 20 minutes south of the Michigan border straight north of Green Bay. iQ can NOT be closed. I love it to much.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll get to go but good luck to all who do. I really don't want the school to be closed down either. It's helped me alot.

Anonymous said...

my mom and little sisters are going!! I really hope it helps! this is a great cause. Hope everything goes well for all of you who are headed to madison today!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to know who the anonymous people were...

I was the one lugging around a heavy coat with a long black skirt and frizzy brown hair. As if you actually saw me, because I don't think I'd remember you anonymous people. There was SOOOO many people there, but I was a little disappointed to see one a few older kids. I personally only met one other iQ-er who I knew from my classes. I think I'll do a write-up on here about my experience.

If the first commenter wants to, she/he can do a write-up as well. Just say who you saw, what they said about it, etc.

Anonymous said...

Cami I think I might have seen you! I'm Amanda. There were a lot of people there. Most were younger kids. I can't believe that there were that many people!