Oct 10, 2007

A Moment of Silence

I've come to realize, despite all the promises and mildly-competent attempts to follow through on them, that things in the iQ Commons are never going to achieve their former organizational glory. We have homepages that no one knows about, we have forums that no one cares about, and the commons announcements are messed up nearly to the point of illegibility. Even our faithful macs are being phased out now, in favor of PC's. Things are changing, and certainly not for the better...

When I first joined iQ, there were at least 3-4 intelligent students who were consistently involved in serious discussions in Commons. While I was just a freshmen, I saw something there that I wanted to be involved in, and did so. Several major flame wars and a bunch of other stuff later, I was a full fledged member of the discussion board group. If something came up that I was interested in, and back in the day things did, I joined in and had my say. My Sophomore year was similar, though slightly more students were more interested in chatting than discussion. (And that year, last year, was the year they shut down the chat rooms.) Back then, we had real, heartfelt discussions where we furiously disassembled the other side's arguments, until we grew tired of that subject and started another. It was a community, like any other community, and it was a great enjoyment to participate.

Now, this year, after the whole blackboard system seems to have been renovated, everything is, to put it bluntly, a mess. The announcements in commons should be in the announcements section of the Discussion Board "Course" and they shouldn't be in obnoxious colors, and they shouldn't stretch the screen so you have to scroll sideways to read them. The Homepages should be right there too, where people can see them. The discussion boards should have all the functions set up, so people can edit the errors in their posts, etc. They should be able to mark posts as read or unread too, like we used to be able to do.

Unfortunately, the thing that really matters, the people, seem to have disappeared. The veterans of the first several years of iQ Academies have gone now, and in their absence, no one has showed up. There might be 10 participants in the discussion boards at the moment, but none of them care to start an serious discussion, and sadly enough, they all seem to agree completely on everything. Not to mention, no Philosophy and Religion board, AND they actually removed the Politics board! So the primary composition of topics is literally "How's the buddy program going?" "How's school going?" and "Homework help".

I should've seen this coming. Similar situations have played out in other organizations, especially online, that I've been involved in. Things fall from their glory as time drags on. People get worn down and lose ambition. Ever since Stacy McKnight left, things truly haven't been the same for iQ's student-to-student relations. (For those of you who don't know, she was our Go-To person for all the commons stuff, and Proms/Dances/Basketball tournaments etc.) I thought someone else would pick up the baton, but it's apparent that there isn't anyone else with the talents Stacy had to organize things for our sake, and make things more interesting for *us*.

Maybe someone else will come along eventually, but who knows. Maybe the iQ Administration is no longer interested in hip younger (pre-30's) people to work for them. If things continue down the road as they are, however, I fear for iQ's success as a whole. You simply cannot maintain a school without giving the students a significant, well thought-out and appropriately-managed commons (Not to mention the need for someone who can relate to students, and the organization of fun events.)


All that said, I'd like to take a moment of silence in memory of the past.


7 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Why did they take off the politics board? That was the only one that was really interesting! I have to agree with you about the Commons. It's going to be boring really fast.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Henry. It's a crying shame. No one seems to be interested in responding to student's suggestions. Maybe we should start a student-run Commons? Something separate from the iQ boards that would only be accessible to iQ's students - Is the Phoenix's Roost still around? I think I lost the web address when I switched computers.

p.s. WHAT'S THIS ABOUT PCs REPLACING MACS?

Henry said...

I'm pretty sure the Roost is still up, but I don't have the link right now either lol. Just the same, I like the idea of a student-led commons area, but I don't know how we could set it up, or how to get the interest of students that can act in such a way as to make it worthwhile.


Straight from Mr. N, all new students are getting PC's from now on :( What a shame.

On that note, I'm actually considering getting my own macbook sometime in the next couple years...

Anonymous said...

As far as advertising a student-run commons goes, mass e-mail anyone? If we set up a nice discussion forum and advertised its advantages, people who haven't been using any of the forums might be tempted to use ours...

I can't believe they're switching to PC's. It makes me even more happy that this is my last year! My brother and sister will have to deal with them, though. I too am seriously considering spending some of my hard-earned cash on a Mac of some sort. I really don't know how I'll survive without my school computer. :P

Henry said...

iQ has bred some mac users, for sure. I'm also planning on getting a mac for college onwards...

wolfcags said...

I a going to have to agree with you. The IQ Commons discussions boards last year(my first year at IQ) were something I went to and I couldn't miss a day without having the topic move on to the next subject and missing out on something. Now I rarely check it as I have seen vary little activity and the subjects are all more or less the same. I'm quite sad to see them go no matter how little I might have participated in them.

On the subject of macs I will only say that I have grown use to them. I was a mac hater last year and when I found out I would have to use one for school I was quite angry. After a year of using it though there are quite a lot of things about macs I have grown fond of whereas there are still things I hate about them. It's making me rethink what I'm going to do next year for school.

P.S. If you get something going for a student-led Commons please let me know! I would loved to take part in it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jordan - I'll be sending you an e-mail about a replacement Commons!